1 year and 7 months ago I shaved off all my hair.
I’ve grown it maybe an inch or two at most in that time but always ended up returning to grade 2 or 3.
It’s been pinky, purpley, natural, dark brown, dark blonde but mainly bleached.
It’s been grade 2, 3, 4, short back and sides, and a complete mess.
I’ve often thought about growing it out to even just a pixie cut, a bob, or longer?! But I can never do it. I can’t stand the in-between hair cuts.
Here are some thoughts regarding my head top…
- It’s opened up my world to fitness and adventure. I’m not saying long hair makes working out and going on fun messy adventures impossible. But it’s nice not having to worry or care about your hair when you’re running around, wearing a cycling helmet, getting caught up a mountain in the rain.
- Showering is still a novelty. It’s quicker, easier, cheaper, and the hot water running off my head will never get old. Plus this goes hand in hand with the first point, quick 5 minute showers after a good workout and not having to wash my hair and dry it. Joy!
- I’m more noticeable in a crowd. Could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your views. I thought I would shave my head and become invisible. Quite the opposite. In a sea of long hair, ombres, and hair extensions, I am a lil egg.
- If you stay ready, you ain’t got to get ready. It takes me no time at all to jump on spontaneous activities. Random nights out, last minute dates, a quick bike ride somewhere, drop everything and go to the pub kinda nights. I’m ready. My hair is done. No last minute salvage attempts with cans of dry shampoo and ‘messy buns’ to make it look deliberate that you look like shit.
- Hoodies & Hats. It’s really improved my relationship with fashion and gender. I have become so comfortable in my appearance I am happy to wear anything, I’ve found my style through shaving my head.
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have hair again. But it’s a fleeting moment. Sometimes I don’t feel as feminine as I’d like that day and maybe some hair would cure it, but then so does a cute top?